Saturday, August 05, 2006

Something to get excited about

I'm going to participate in the spinning SP that's being held on the Knitty chat board. Here is the questionair I filled out:

1. How long have you been spinning?
20 years

2. What types of fiber have you spun? What have you spun that *isn't* "fiber"?
I've done it all.

3. What are your favorite colors?
Red, purple, pale yellow

4. Are there any colors you absolutely do NOT like? If so which?
Neon colors

5. What are your favorite fibers?
You mean I have to pick? If pressed I'd have to say silk

6. Do you have any unwelcome fibers (stuff you just don't need more of or like?) Soy silk is the worst and I'm not overly fond of Ingeo.

7. What is your Dream Fiber?
I dream of fiber most nights so it's hard to pick a favorite.

8. Have you ever started with raw wool - and gone from raw to spun? Would you want to?
Yes, I knit a baby blanket for a niece. I love to tell her the story of how I met the sheep who helped make her blanket and she loves to hear the story.

9. Do you own a drop spindle(s)? Wheel? What type/how many?
Somewhere around 50 drop spindles, high and low whorl, all different makers. An Ashford Traveler, an Ashford Joy, an indian charka, a Bosworth charka, Mother Marions Kick Spindle

10. Have you ever painted roving?
No, but I have painted warps of the loom and the process is similar.

11.What is the next thing you want to learn (techniques etc)?
I want to improve my technique for spinning flax so it become smother but I think this is just a matter of practice.

12. Do you card (or comb) your own or purchase rovings or top ready to spin?
I do process my own, but I love rovings and tops too.

13. Do you own hand carders, a drum carder, combs, etc.?
I own regular wool cards, cotton cards, mini combs, Viking style combs, Dutch combs (Louet)

Wants and Nots:
I'm very flexable.

19. Allergies:
None to fiber and meds take care of the rest.

a. Do you have any food, fiber, smoke, pet allergies your SP should be aware of?
Smoke and Hay

b. Do you smoke, have pets, or process peanuts where you store your yarn? If so, please declare them here:
I have two cats and a pet rat. No smoking in my house ever! No peanuts

20. Do you have an Amazon.com or knitpicks.com wishlist you'd like to share with your SP (please add URL if applicable)?
No

21. Anything you’ve been longing for or would really love to get (spinning related or not)?:
Not really

22. What about stuff you don't need at all?
I can always use more fiber (except soy silk)

23. Do you have hobbies other than spinning (knitting, other crafts, tv, sports, collectibles, fave things)?
Knitting, Weaving, I'm a Psychology Major with a minor in Art Therapy,

24. Books you would like (spinning or not):
Math and the Mona Lisa, or anything else on Leonardo da Vinci (I loved him way befor the Da Vinci code came along)

25. Magazines you would like (spinning or not):
No

26. For those of you who live outside the US, is there anything you'd like that you can't get your hands on?
I'm in the US

27. In the event your SP lives outside the the US, is anything you'd like that you can't find in the US?
What ever my SP thinks is unique to their area will make me very happy.

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things:

28. Who/What is your favorite...
a. Chocolate: Dark, Dark, Dark
b. Muppet: Animal, Fozzy
c. Cartoon Character: Don't have one
d. Flower: Yellow Roses
e. Ice Cream flavor: Chocolate
f. Fragrance: Cinnamon and other spicy scents g. Shoes to wear: None and if I have to Keds h. Type of garden: One that I don't have to tend, I have a black thumb.
i. Animal: Cats, Rats (domesticated not sewer) j. Beverage: Water k. Author: Don't have one l. Musician: Nora Jones, anything celtic m. Holiday: Christmas (it's my birthday too) n. Time of Day: Morning o. Bath or Shower: Both, Shower to wake me up in the AM and a bath to help me relax in the PM. I do all my best thinking in the shower and if I'm having trouble staying awake to get thru a chapter in my text books I read in the bath (I don't fall asleep because I don't want the book to fall in the water)


I Want to Get To Know You Better:

29. How did you learn to spin?
I had one brief lesson and then it's been pratice and reading

30. What is the most exciting this that happened to you this month, year?
Nothing really, it's been quiet and that's that’s the way I want it.

31. What is your favorite thing to do to waste time?
Read and respond to the Coffeeshop, surf the net

32. The things that make me the happiest My animals, my job (I work in a yarn/Fiber shop where I teach spinning), my fiber arts

33. If you were candy would you be sweet, sour, or cinnamon?
Sweet

34. If you were a fruit which would you be?
Raspberry

35. Are you a Java Junkie?
Yes but not when it's hot

36. Your birthday, in case it falls during the swap and your SP wants to send you a card:
It won't.

37. Do you have a personal mantra?
Ohm Mani Padme Hum (the jewel in the lotus) it's a universal mantra for enlightenment for the world. The one I give to my students is Practice Makes Better.

38. How do you feel about holidays?
I can take them or leave them.

39. How do you really feel about socks?
I love them.

40. What is your shoe size?
7.5 US

41. How do you feel about ponchos?
Hate them

42. What kind of music (and/or which artists) do you listen to when you are happy?
Celtic

43. Rate yourself on a girly/fruh fruh factor from 1 - 10:
About a 4, I'm not into fruh fruh but I have been known to be girly ocasionally

44. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, two cats, one rat

45. What are a few of your life dreams?
To be a Psychologist, to be able to use spinning/knitting in treating my patients

46. What languages do you speak (besides English)?
None I have no aptitude for languages

47. If you could live anywhere, where would that be?
Cornwall, England

48. If you could do anything for a living what would it be?
I love the job I have now (I work part time in a yarn/fiber shop) and when I get my license to practice I will love being a Psychologist

49. If you could have any "super power" which would it be?
Invisability

50. You're given $10,000 for traveling. Where do you go and why?
Cornwall, England. It's where my grandmother grew up.

No comments: