Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Socktoberfest entry

Yes I have made some time to knit or rather my Anthropolgy techer has still been covering the same stuff as last semester so knitting on my socks has kept me from falling asleep in class. Still no pictures. So here are some questions and answers about my sock knitting:

When did you start making socks?
Socks were the the first thing I ever knit. No really, they were. I had done a little piece of knitting done flat to get the concept but sock were the thing I completed.

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself from a book. Folk Scoks by Nancy Bush.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair held up rather well until I accidently put them in the regular wash. They were knit out of handspun wool. Need I say more?

What would you have done differently?
I would have learned to knit without twisting my stitches. I'm dyslexic and left handed so when I taught myself to knit I was doing it wrong. I was knitting into the back of my stitches. When I started to hang out at the LYS, where I know work, Betty was watvhing my knit one day and pointed out that I was doing it wrong. I had wondered why my socks always seem to hard to put on. Doh!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I love handspun but in commercial yarns I really like Step by Austermann, Lornas Laces, Claudia's Hand Painted, Schafer Anne, all which is in my stash wating to be loved.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I'm a DPN girl. No one told me knitting with them would be hard when I started.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Flap, but I have a grand plan of some day working thru all the different sock heals in all of Nancy Bush's books.

How many pairs have you made?
20 or so, most of which have gone to live with other people.

No comments: