Saturday, January 05, 2008

Stash busting and having negative totals

So I've joined a group on Ravelry called Stash Knit Down 2008. I'm focusing not so much on knitting my stash but more on getting my UFO's done. To that end I decided that the yarn I bought with some of my Christmas money, that is becoming my Bijoux Blouse, will be my last purchase until I get a real job. In this group spinning also counts as a way of stash busting so I'm not going to buy anymore fiber either. The only exception to any of this will be the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.

The SKD08 group is trying help with us all to keep motivated by setting up challenges. For the month of January (starting today and going until February 19th) the challenge is to knit a mile of yarn. Now for some of us this has set the bar a little high so a subgroup (calling ourselves Team Tortoise) have set a more modest goal. A 200 meter dash = knit that much yardage in a simple project or the 100 meter hurdles = knit that much yardage into a complicated project like cable or lace. I've also decided to keep track of my goals here so I might actually have more fiber content to share. Wouldn't regular posting's be nice for a change?

I've been on quite the knitting jag for the last few weeks and in the last couple of days had really made progress on the BB. Today I knit my personal goal of half a ball of yarn (110 yards) and still got my chores done around the house which included cleaning out my car (which was a long over due task).

After dinner I settled down to keep knitting and that's when I ran into a snag. I started to worry that I might not really have enough yarn for the BB so I plugged the numbers into Sweater Wizard (a knitting program) too see what it would estimate for yardage. I figured out that I might just run short. Then I double checked that I was on gauge and proceeded to find not one but two mistakes that I had to rip out. One mistake was minor, I had only caught and knit into one of the plys in the yarn. This was fairly far back and if it were the only problem I just would have left it since it was on an edge stitch and would be in the seam. The other mistake was the big issue, I had missed doing a decrease row, down near where I had the other mistake. This meant I had two extra stitches going up more than half the back of the sweater. While this may not sound like a big deal, those two stitches could be the difference between having to buy another ball of yarn or not. So out came all of today's and some of yesterdays knitting. I'm trying to look at this as a positive but I'm still a little frustrated.

My new personal goal for the rest of this weekend is to regain the ground that I've lost. I figured that I want to knit 150 yards by the time I have to leave for my internship on Monday.

No comments: