Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The next adventure of a farmgirl

One of the things that being a farmgirl has inspired me to try is quilting, but I don't have a whole lot of interest in doing a lot pieced work. What I'm really interested in is a technique called called wholecloth quilting or white work. It's very simple, you draw out a design that you will follow with your stitching on the quilt top, sandwich the top batting and back the way you would any quilt, baste the layers together, and then just stitch. Just to play around I picked up a basic book on hand quilting, couple of stencils and a quilting hoop (which is different from an embroidery hoop, this kind of hoop accommodates the thickness of the quilt). I had some fabric, some poly batting left over from another project, and some quilting thread that was my mothers at home. I put together my sample last night and I've already completed two of the motifs.





A close up of the front. The blue lines are done with a fabric marker and will wash out once I have the whole thing completed with binding and all.


A close up of the back, this view gives you a better idea of what it will look like when it's completed


Doing the stitching is very much like following a pre-printed embroidery pattern using a running stitch. However it's not mindless work. The challenge comes in trying to keep your stitches as even as possible. My stitches are far from perfect but I'm happy with what I've done so far and can tell you that this is definitely another fabric aer I plan to pursue with a passion. The rhythm of the stitching is very soothing in much the same way that the rhythm of spinning is soothing for me.

I was thinking that I might make this into a pillow, but a much better idea came to me this morning. I'm going to make this, and at least two more similar panels, into wall hangings for the for the wall of the staircase. Hubby and I used to have our heraldic banners hanging on the wall as you go up to the second floor. I used my banner to mark out our home to arriving guests and it was stolen ages ago and when we renovated we just never hung his banner back up. The one thing we have noticed since we did this is that the sound from the TV carries very loudly right into our bed room now. So if one of is napping the other needs to keep the volume very low while watching TV. Don't even get me started on what Hubbies video games sound like as the noise carries up the stairs. So the quilted panels will help to deaden the sound and look very attractive. Now my only question is should I do all the panels in white and change the motifs or should I keep the motifs the same but make each panel a different color? I think I'll let Hubby decide that.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Very nice work!

kimberly said...

I love it! I also love your blog-we have quite a bit in common. :-)))

Opal said...

Awesome!

MsKnitSox said...

Looks good! Glad you are enjoying your endeavor into quilting. You've inspired me to try picking it up. Although, I'll be into the piecing thing. Good thing my cousin is an expert quilter! : )

Astabeth said...

That is lovely!

Becca Nelson said...

Beautiful work!