Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Plurkette Henhouse is up and running

One of the things that marks out a farmgirl is her sense of community and to that end the first assignments for our on-line henhouse is to get to know one another. So I'd like to introduce myself to all my farmgirl sisters.

My name is Christine and I live in a small suburban town that's about an hour north and west of Philadelphia. Living with me are two cats, two spinning wheels, a couple of looms, lots and lots of fiber and yarn, lots of art supplies, my trusty sewing machine, and some where in here is my wonderful hubby.

I think the main reason why the whole farmgirl thing apeals to me is because I've always had a real love for what is considered traditionally woman's work and the value that it has played in the shaping of the the world around us. I very much enjoy all the modern conveniences of the 21c but I feel equally at home unplugging from the modern world.

6 comments:

KnitDiva said...

I agree! I am so excited about being a farm girl! This is going to be a great way for me to dust off my baking gear and my sewing machine!

Deb said...

Very true about community building! I was thinking about the tradition of woman's work when I woke this morning. I have to keep my hands busy. Whether it is cooking, gardening, spinning or knitting. I love projects where I can create within a group. As we live near (25 ft away)my inlaws all four of us often have projects outside at the same time. I love that! Almost as fun as a Stitch n Bitch;)

Queue said...

Yes! Farmgirl on!

Liberty's Yarn said...

I totally agree! Go! Farmgirl Go! =)

Dani said...

I'm looking forward to finding many ways to make my sorta suburban home my own personal farmland :)

Nice to meet you!

peri said...

Thanks for the comment - great blog by the way. I am very exicited by this whole sisterhood/famgirl idea too.