Saturday, August 02, 2008

The new work so far

I've been really enjoying doing the embroidery for this bag. As I was going along I realized that I needed a few more colors of floss to make the design around the face of the sheep pop. I brought out all four of my boxes of floss which is pretty much every color DMC makes. Plus I have some metallic threads but I won't be using any on this bag. On some of the bags that I have planned will need a bit of sparkle.



These are the colors I decided to work with keeping. The color scheme needed a little something so I added just a few touches of green.


Here is the picture of the completed line work. Now I need to fill in his face and the ruff around his neck. I'm going to stick with doing french knots in the ruff but I think I'm going to use bullion stitch or some variant of it on the sheep's face to imply the fleece.


As I was going along I realized that I had put the design on the fabric oriented along the wrong axis but have decided to go ahead and finish the it because I had already put to much work into it to just scrap the whole thing and start over. I know I'm going to need a longer zipper to accommodate the new length of the bag. This is what I get for starting something at 1:30am!



And one piece of advice on working with transfer sheets like these.

Not that this is a bad thing, just be aware that the design will rub off. If you think your going to take a long time to complete the work or like me have a tendency to have parts of the work rub up against you then go over the chalk lines with a water soluble pencil. These kind of pencils come in light blue and white. This will make the marks more durable but will come out with a cold water rinse when your embroidery is completed.

9 comments:

Opal said...

The little sheepie is really coming along! Thanks for the great embroidery tips. :)

Beverly said...

Wow, you do beautiful work and I appreciate your tips!

Katy said...

What a cute sheepie! I think he's lovely :)

ckknitter said...

Wow - that's a lot of floss. Can't wait to see how he turns out -

calicokitty6 said...

I love the little sheepie. So sweet. Beautiful work.

Astabeth said...

Wow - that's a lot of floss! The sheep is cute!

Jessica said...

So cute!!

islandgirlA/alicia in Hawaii said...

Hi,
I love your blog.
I've left an award for you here:
http://curiosities808.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/awards-and-whoo-hoos/
Thanks for sharing your wonderful blog!

--
--
smiles,
alicia in Hawaii
www.curiosities808.wordpress.com
www.islandgirla.blogspot.com

Linnea said...

Darling sheepie! And I am jealous of your floss collection. It's beautiful.