Sunday, May 31, 2009

DIY bath time for rheumatiod arthritis pain relief

Since my diagnosis I have been looking for way to relieve the pain that don't involve taking another pill. One of the most common pieces of advice I've gotten is to take a warm bath or shower. Being a DIY Girl I looked around to find ways of making my bath (or shower) more of a relaxing experience. Here are some great tutorials that I came across:


How to make a head wrap to keep your hair out of the bath water


5 Homemade bath soaks


Homemade bath tea - in this article they call for pre-made muslin tea bags but making your own is super simple! Here is a tutorial for making two different kinds (one is no-sew) -muslin tea bags


If you have trouble getting into a tub then try using sugar scrub made with cinnamon. It will leave your skin soft and warm!

When my hands are hurting I'll rub my own mixture of almond oil (1/2 cup), cinnamon (1/2 tea spoon), and orange zest (one large orange) on to my hands then put on a pair of cotton gloves to keep the heat in.

1 comment:

Michael said...

When I had a bad hand injury and was going through physical therapy, I discovered hot paraffin baths for the hands - now, you can get a home model, and they are AMAZING for when my joints are achy. Not to mention feeling really nice any time.