Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Be still my textile geek heart!!!

I have just found the most amazing podcast on traditional textiles from a wide variety of cultures. The podcast is called Voices on Cloth - Maiwa Podcasts. The episodes are from lectures given at past textile symposium sponsored by Miawa. I've only listened to a few of the podcasts so far but I've enjoyed what I've heard. The first one are excerpts from a lecture on Slow Clothing.

There is another symposium coming up this Sept-Oct. One of the lecturers is Dr. Elizabeth Wayland Barber. Dr. Barber is the author of Woman's Work - The first 20,000 Years. The book is my favorite book EVAR!!! and should be required reading for anyone who is a spinner and/or weaver. The book will be the topic of Dr Barbers lecture. That high pitched noise your heaing is me squeeing in delight!!!

There is also a series of stores in Vancouver BC. You can find the website at:
http://www.maiwa.com/index.html

No comments: